Wednesday, January 12, 2011

8-Bit Ale brewing begins

In the days leading up to my first attempt at a homebrew, my time was divided thusly:
  • 40% worrying about technique
  • 20% fantasizing about hops and malt
  • 40% thinking of a name for my beer
On the name, at least, I'm pretty confident. I wanted something related to video games, and something that rolled off the tongue. "8-Bit Ale" fit the bill nicely. Seriously, say it out loud. "8-Bit Ale." Good, right? You want to drink it already.

Of course, the recipe I'd be following is one that thousands of other homebrewers had used. It's the one that comes with the homebrewing kit I got for Christmas, which was furnished by the fine folks at Beer and Wine Hobby in Woburn, MA. The kit included most of the equipment I needed. In reading the recipes, and Charlie Papazian's book, it seemed the major component I was missing was a stock pot big enough to boil my wort. The night before I was set to begin, I picked up a 20-quart stainless steel pot from Target, and got ready to brew.

8-Bit Ale was to be an "amber ale," one of three options included in the deluxe homebrewing kit from Beer and Wine Hobby. The ingredients were as follows:
  • 2 cans malt extract (3.3 lbs each)
  • 1 lb crystal malt
  • 1.5 oz Hallertau hop pellets
  • .5 oz water salts
  • 15g yeast
To this, I would need to add 5 gallons of water. Thus began a recurring theme in my homebrewing experience: excessive worrying about possibly trivial things. Apparently master brewers take their water seriously, and make sure that the mineral content of the water is just so in each and every brew they make.

I thought about picking up some filtered water from the store, and I considered trying to filter 5 gallons through my Brita pitcher (which would only have taken about six hours or so), before deciding that I had enough to worry about, so I should use tap water. I mean, come on -- I drink my tap water all the time and I haven't turned into the Toxic Avenger yet. Let's just get started.

But, as I said, questions kept coming up. Remember when you were a kid and you were starting at a new school, there were a million things to think about, but the most important thing you were concerned about was where the bathroom was? That's how I felt when I started my batch of 8-Bit Ale. I was fascinated by the interplay of ingredients, by the chemical reactions that I would be orchestrating, and by the control I could finally exert over the beer that I would drink. When it came to the most basic logistical questions. I was terrified.

I wondered things like:
  • Should I cover the stock pot when it's boiling, or leave it uncovered?
  • How often should I stir it?
  • Where will I sanitize my bucket?
  • If I use the bucket for fermentation, what will I use to bottle?
  • What the hell is "sparging?"
Just as in school, when you finally had to raise your hand and ask for the damn hall pass, eventually I needed to get started. You learn by doing, not by reading the first chapter of The Complete Joy of Homebrewing over and over.

It was time to get started.

1 comment:

  1. * Should I cover the stock pot when it's boiling, or leave it uncovered?

    It doesn't matter because you will be adding water at the end to bring total volume to 5 gallons. Unless you think something gross will land in the pot. I did my last brew outside (propane burner) and didn't want a bird crapping in the wort.
    * How often should I stir it?

    Stir to mix ingredients - get the malt dissolved, keep crap off the bottom.
    * Where will I sanitize my bucket?
    In the bathtub - I hope you are using StarSan. Bleach is a pain in the ass.
    * If I use the bucket for fermentation, what will I use to bottle?

    Another bucket, ideally with a spigot on the bottom for attaching the bottling cane.
    * What the hell is "sparging?"
    Haven't sparged in my brewing - you're on your own.

    ReplyDelete