Wednesday, February 2, 2011

8-Bit Ale debrief

My first homebrewing project is complete. I've had a few of my 8-Bit Ales by now. Though I look forward to having more, I'd like to let a few of them continue to condition in their bottles over the next few months. I also want to give some away. More and more, I wish I hadn't had to dump so much of it. But that's water, or maybe beer, under the bridge.

What did I learn from this whole process? For one thing, I learned that Charlie Papazian was right. Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew. Lots of things went wrong, and I overreacted to every one of them. Somehow, when it was all over with, I still had good beer to drink. Next time, I swear I will be more willing to go with the flow.

It'll help that I now have the answers to so many of the elementary questions that concerned me at the beginning. I'm confident about how to sanitize my equipment. I won't stress my hydrometer readings, or my wort temperatures, quite as much. I know what kinds of caps I need for my bottles. (Okay, I am still a little mad about that one.) I can concentrate on the recipe.

At times, I doubted that I would ever undertake another homebrew, but now I can't imagine not doing so. There's a sense of pride that comes from sipping a delicious beer of your own design, and a sense of fulfillment that comes from having crates full of them in your basement. The next one will still be a malt extract brew, but I'd like to get a little bit more ambitious with the recipe. I'm thinking a porter sounds tasty.

That wraps it up for now. Whenever I start homebrew batch #2, I'll be sure to chronicle it right here. And the next batch will be even better, because a Second Draft is always an improvement.

2 comments:

  1. Mitch, We followed the same timeline for home brew. My inlaws ALSO got me the kit you're using! Curious what you're thinking about brewing up next? I'm looking into an Irish Red. My first batch was a Stout called T5 Stout (named after my friend's soon to be born child, and his love of Guinness). Basically every entry you have here sums up exactly how I've felt over the past 5-6 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'll probably be a porter. I'd like to experiment a little bit more with the flavors during the boiling process, and I might try a two-stage fermentation this time. Other than that, I'll keep it simple for the second time out, too.

    ReplyDelete